Learn what constitutes “durable medical equipment”
- Durable medical equipment typically refers to items such as canes, walkers, wheelchairs, shower benches, portable commodes, and hospital beds.
- See Medicare’s definition of “durable medical equipment.”
Learn when Medicare pays for durable medical equipment
- Medicare web page summarizes when Medicare covers durable medical equipment.
- Medicare web page summarizes types of equipment typically covered.
- 16 page Medicare booklet gives detailed information on Medicare’s coverage of durable medical equipment. The booklet also is available in Spanish.
Find a Medicare certified medical equipment supplier
- Find a certified supplier at Medicare’s website.
Learn about DC metro financial aid for medical equipment
- Maryland’s Assistive Technology Loan Program provides low-interest loans to Maryland residents for the purchase of certain types of medical equipment.
- The Newell Fund provides low-interest loans to Virginia residents for the purchase of certain medical equipment.
Find free loans of medical equipment in the DC metro area
- Iona’s Medical Equipment Loan Closet provides free loans of donated durable medical equipment to anyone in need. For more information, call 202-895-9448 (option 4) or email info@Iona.org.
- The Washington Area Wheelchair Society provides free loans of donated durable medical equipment to low-income residents of DC, MD, and VA. For more information, call 301-495-0277.
- DC Shares provides free loans of donated durable medical equipment to low-income DC residents. For more information, call 202-332-2595.
This entry was posted on April 28, 2011 at 11:32 am and is filed under Caregiver Resources, DC Metro Resources, Medical Equipment, Professional Resources. You can subscribe via RSS 2.0 feed to this post’s comments.
You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.